June 15, 2015

Monday, June 15

Today was a good day, and judging by how I felt last night, I'm so grateful. 

I am so very lucky and happy to be here and meeting so many new people. Both my new Blackfeet friends and all my amazing Global Volunteers who I have met so far (a total of 35 so far!) I am amazed and inspired every day by some one or something. This week I have 15 students and 3 Chaperones from Montclair Kimberley Academy in New Jersey (I promise we don't exclusively recruit volunteers from Jersey!). There are some great students who give me some laughs, and who restore my faith in humanity. 

Today we helped out at the grand opening of the Chewing Black Bones camp ground. We helped put up a Tipi, moved picnic tables, played with kids, listened to stories, and then helped take it all down again later that afternoon. 

In between all that, I got to listen to members of Chewing Black Bones family talk about his tipi, and some Blackfeet traditions and culture before being invited in by Clyde Home Gun to share some tobacco (smoked from a pipe) and a prayer for my family. The gentleman leading the prayers asked if I had a little boy... he seemed certain that I did. So I will be very impressed if my first child is a boy, and hopefully he means quite a bit in the future...lol. 

After I left the Tipi I helped organize the volunteers and make sure everyone was making new friends and helping out any way they can with the camp and just joining in the sense of community. And then closed out the day with a quick ATV ride around the campground with Mr. Home Gun and then headed back to our church at Heart Butte to another delicious meal cooked by Patty Heavy Runner. 

I've only been here for 2 weeks - and I've had all the ups and downs I could have expected- but I've also already made so many awesome memories and cannot wait to see what the rest of the summer has in store for me. I miss my family, friends in Chicago, I miss Oreo and Alex (who is last on this list because I'm saving the best for last ;)) but I know that I am here for a reason, and I'm going to live it up! 

If you want to reach me, email me or send me mail! Just ask for my PO Box here in Browning, MT. 

LOVE!!!! 
Lindsey 

1 comment:

  1. Oreo misses you to. I'm taking good care of her though. I work from home so she's getting lots of kisses and snuggle time. I even convinced Alex to let me keep her for 2 extra days! Enjoy every moment of your summer. Stay in the present and breath it all in. xoxo

    ReplyDelete