January 27, 2013

Bringing Sexy Back

Over the past few weeks I've been attempting to get my life in order. I'm back on Weight Watchers after gaining a ridiculous amount of my weight back during the holidays, I'm taking my grant writing certificate class, and I've taken some dance classes in an  attempt to get my sexy back. (I lost it a while ago and it hasn't been taking my calls).

First it was pole dancing which, if you read my previous post, you know did not go well. Then it was  a Zumba and a Latin Groove class. I grew up in New Mexico, salsa is in my blood and on my chips. How hard could it be? Well let's just say I wasn't exactly Elaine from Seinfeld, but I was no Channing Tatum either.

MMMMM....Channing Tatum....



What was I talking about?

Oh yeah, so I've been taking classes, kicking asses and just generally rocking 2013 so far. Part of this was to join a volleyball team. I played in middle school and high school and gave it up in college because I wanted to focus on acting; which I then gave up to save the world by working for zero money at a nonprofit. Smart.

I've missed volleyball, and I'm good at it. Those of you who know me know I don't compliment myself, nor do I appreciate it when others do, so for me to say I'm good at volleyball is kind of big deal. It's the truth. It's been 12 years since I played it competitively and this is the first time I've joined an intermediate team rather than a recreational level team. I wish I had done it sooner because it feels damn good. It's good volleyball and it's challenging. It's not like it was then, because those spandex just don't fit like they used to, but it is making me feel great.

I have never felt sexier. I've been wasting my time dancing and losing weight and all these other things that are not me. Sure they are fun, and I'll continue to do them, but I forgot what an amazing feeling it is to block a strong hitter, or serve so hard that no one could return it. I had somehow blocked out how amazing it feels to walk home with a layer of skin missing off of my knees, and my arms bright red. I cannot accurately describe the feeling inside of my during a volleyball game. I feel powerful, in my element, and that is sexy.

I guess the whole point of this post (other than looking at Channing Tatum... go ahead, scroll up and take another gander...I'll wait...) is just to inspire others to find their sexy in something they are good at and find pleasure in. I plan to continue playing volleyball, and with any luck I may just get close to being as good as I once was but in the mean time I'm off to ice my knees, because I'm old.

Balls

No comments:

Post a Comment